Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Strep throat AGAIN!!!

Ok, so I don't remember the last time I had strep throat, oh yes I do 2 weeks ago. This is so annoying. I went to another walk-in clinic on Sunday, they tested me and it came back negative. Trust me, I just had it, I know what it feels like. But no, they tell me to just watch it. That night I go to a family party, sound familiar, that's just what happened 2 weeks earlier. Sorry again Lothyan family, please don't stop inviting me to parties! So, while at the party I ask my sister-in-law to look at my throat as it now feels like needles poking my throat when I drink water, sure enough...Strep! I called the walk-in clinic back on Monday, told them I watched it, and it is full on strep if they could get the Dr. to fill a prescription for me. No, we don't do that. Well I'm not going to pay another co-pay at the walk-in and not be covered by my insurance at 100% so I called my Dr. They saw me, and the woman who cultured my throat gasped, said "Oh my gosh," told someone else to come take a look because it was so bad. Nice, when the Dr. saw me he told me he had to take a look because they were talking about it downstairs. The test came back "screaming positive" the Dr. said. They put me on antibiotics an off I went. Oh no, it only got better. That night I should have felt a little better, but my tonsils were worse in the middle of the night, and in the morning I would gag when I talked they were so swollen. The Dr. told me to come in and be tested for mono, MONO! I'm not in high school anymore I'm 30! The test came back negative, so I had to go have another blood draw for another test. Those results should be in the next 3 days or so. I was crying in the Dr. office I was in so much pain. He prescribed Vicodin for the pain and a steroid to reduce the swelling. The draw back, I can no longer nurse Evan. I know he's almost a year, but I just wasn't ready. It would be different if it was my decision, but it was made for me. That makes me VERY sad, but we are dealing with it. Anyways, the pain meds are REALLY helpful, and things look like they are slowly improving. Let's hope I don't have to deal with this again ever, or at least for a really long time! I was going to post a pic of my throat, but thought better of it, your welcome!

4 comments:

Tim and Lisa said...

So sorry. I understand about having to stop nursing, I had to do that with Autumn. Her teeth were sawing me in half. She was not biting, just sawing me. So sorry!

Carly said...

Hope you're 100 percent soon! Sorry you had to stop nursing. Did you switch to milk or do you have to do formula? I hope he adjusts well and you realize it wasn't your fault! Then theirs mom's like me that selfishly ween there babies at 10 months...sorry.

Miss Kelli said...

that is so sad...you poor thing! Feel better soon and stop getting sick already!

Trudy said...

What a crummy experience! So glad you are feeling better!