Sunday, January 4, 2009

The tomato plant






I love the dollar bins at Target. This summer I found a grow your own tomato plant in the dollar bin. I bought it for Kyleigh for some kind of reward. We planted the tiny seeds and watered them. She was so excited when the first signs of life appeared. As it grew we transplanted it into a bigger pot. I could not believe this plant was actually growing this big. Summer came and while everyone was getting tomatoes off their plants ours wasn't even close to growing tomatoes. Kyleigh was still so proud of her plant. FINALLY it showed signs of growing tomatoes, but summer was ending. With some advice from my father-in-law we babied that plant, and brought it in each night so it wouldn't get to cold. I couldn't believe that tomatoes were growing and turning red. Well, Kyleigh enjoyed the fruits of her labor (mine really) and she enjoyed each tomato as it would ripen. Needless to say we have had fresh tomatoes off the vine even through Christmas. It has been through alot, many spills, Evan digging in it, and yet it persevered. On New Years Day it was time to take the plant to the yard waste. We couldn't stand having in our house anymore. Poor Kyleigh! She said her good-byes twice and after the deed was done she cried, begging for her tomato plant back. We explained that it was time for it to go, but we can grow another one this year. Thank goodness I still have seeds and we will get an early start this year so they will be ready in the summer time! Plus I think I'm finally caught up on my blog for now!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet, literally and figurtively!

Anonymous said...

My kids loved our garden this year...They were so excited to see things grow and yes when the tomatoes appeared and the zuccinis (sp) got big, they loved it!!! It was sad for them to see it die off :(

Trudy said...

The "cycle of life" is a hard one to learn for little ones. That tomato plant was really awesome and Kyleigh really loved it!

Trudy said...

Kyleigh,

Grandpa and Grandma Lothyan look forward to you sharing next year's tomato plant with us. Gramma talks to her tomato plants too, every time she watered and fertilized them. They were happy and shared their fruits with us in salads and sandwiches. Yum!

Love,

Grandpa and Grandma Lothyan

Unknown said...

Fresh tomatoes are hard to beat!
Evan is looking so much bigger than the last time I saw him! It's amazing what a little time does! :)